The 7th edition of Belt Conveyors for Bulk Materials (known as “The Belt Book”) includes a new conveyor power prediction methodology using “Large Sample Indentation Test” (LSIT) data. This article provides background and insight...
In 2010 the Adani Group broke ground on a new solid cargo handing port with the installation of a unique conveyor system that moves up to 6000 t/h to a rail loading silo approx. 4.75 kilometres from the port. These conveyors are...
A Leader in the Design of Belt Conveyors and Transfer Chutes
Incorporated in 1981, CDI is recognized internationally for its pioneering work in dynamic analysis and rubber based power predictions. It has numerous publications, and patents to its credit, and projects in over 30 countries and 5 continents.
CDI twice broke the world record for longest single flight trough conveyor: first in Zimbabwe in 1996 (Zisco mine, 15.6 km), and then in Australia in 2007 (Curragh mine, 20.3 km). This year CDI will break the record again in South Africa, when it commissions a 27 km conveyor for Sasol. CDI has been involved in the design of over 87 km of pipe conveyors, including an 8.1 km single-flight 5000 t/h pipe conveyor.
CDI is a technology driven company combining expertise in mechanical and control systems with extensive field experience. This enables CDI to take a global approach to conveyor design stressing reliability, low capital costs, control simplicity, flexibility and expandability. CDI also develops, uses, and sells the most sophisticated conveyor analysis software in the industry, and produces advanced tachometers and data acquisition systems.
CDI has long term agreements with many EPC and equipment suppliers around the world, including Australia, China, Germany, India, South Africa, the Americas, and Russia. It supplies owners, operators, and our partners with numerous services, including:
Systems / Components / Controls / Commissioning
- Feasibility studies, route selection and optimization
- Overland, horizontally curved, regenerative, bi-way conveyors
- Static and dynamic analysis of trough and pipe conveyors
- Low rolling resistance technology and belt rubber rheology test
- Conveyor component design (pulleys, chutes, brakes or splice)
- Holdback loadsharing devices
- Lightweight ground based and elevated conveyor structures
- Control logic and PLC / DCS programming
- Fully automated stacker, reclaimer, and wagon loading controls
- Soft-start and -stop controls for head, tail and booster drives
- Brake controls and hydraulic system design
- Commissioning and field testing
- Failure analysis (e.g. drive, reducer, splice, pulley, holdbacks)
- Conveyor design verification
Transfer Chutes, Bins, and Feeders
- Geometry optimization using Rocky Discrete Element Modeling (DEM) package
- Expertise in highly cohesive and adhesive materials